Our first two entries in this project (read HERE) covered setting up the raspberry pi and flashing Tasmota onto the Wi-Fi plug. Now that we’ve got it configured, it is time to add the device to Hubitat so that we can get the most use out of it!
At this point, you’ll need to have your plug connected to an outlet and a device you want to automate using Hubitat. You should also know the IP address of the Tasmota plug in order to properly configure the Device Handler in Hubitat.
Open a browser window, and go to: https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-sonoff-tasmota-switch-driver/4115
Open a second browser window and navigate to the IP address of your Hubitat Elevation. Click “< > Drivers Code” in the toolbar on the left side of the screen.
- Click “New Driver”
- Copy the code from the “Release: Sonoff Tasmota Switch Driver” page into the New Driver window.
- Click Save
- Click the “Hamburger” menu in the top left corner and select “Devices”
- Click “Add Virtual Device
- Enter a unique name for Device Name, Device Network ID, and Device Label.
- For Type, select “Sonoff-Tasmota,” which will be at the bottom of the list.
- Click “Save Device”
- You’ll be prompted for the IP address of the device and the Switch (on a single outlet plug, select 1 – on devices with more than one outlet, set a switch for each relay).
- Click “Save Preferences”
Remember, if you’re using the “Amazon Echo App,” you will need to remove the existing instance and recreate it to add your new app to Alexa.
That caveat aside, the plug is now completely ready for you to use with Rule Machine, though your dashboards , and the new Hubitat Mobile App!
Happy local control!
SmarterHome.club is the website for our Facebook community, The Smarter Home Club – which is an umbrella for all kinds of smart home technologies – home automation, security, custom electronics, weather stations, alternative energy, you name it. DIY focused.
If you’re interested in joining the Smarter Home Club’s Facebook group, please follow this link: